following restaurants and natural food stores are
sorted alphabetically. To be listed, a restaurant must offer 3 or 4
vegetarian dishes or be exceptional at fewer. It is best to call ahead to check
the restaurant's hours and to make reservations. Members must show their
current VSH membership card to receive special offers and discounts. We
are not able to check all listed items personally, and changes may take
place without notice. We encourage your comments regarding additions to or
deletions from this guide, including changes in discount policies; please
send them to DiningGuide@VSH.org.
Restaurants & Natural Foods Stores
Al Pastor Tacos Food Truck -
808-652-6953 - 4-1602 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI 96746
Banana Joe's -
808-828-1092 - 5-2719 Kuhio Highway, Kilauea
Bangkok Happy Bowl Thai Bistro
& Bar - 808-742-9888, 2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr.,
Food truck with pleasant outdoor eating area. Almost the entire menu is vegan and gluten free. Entrees cooked fresh to order, most can be made allium free. Everything is made from scratch and mostly organic. Closed Mondays and Sundays
Chalupas Authentic Mexican Food
Visit our food truck in Old Koloa Town or Lihue Town for sabrosa (tasty), authentic take out Mexican Food!
Craving Thai Food Truck
Visit our food truck: Good Food for Good Health
tel: 808-634-9959 3477 Weliweli Rd, Koloa, HI 96756
Creperie Food Truck
Visit our food truck for fresh vegan gluten-free crepes
Eat Healthy Cafe
- 808-822-7990 - 4-369 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa (Wailua)
Garden Island Barbecue & Chinese
Restaurant - 245-8868 - 4252 Rice St., Lihue
Greenery Cafe - 246-4567 - 3146 Akahi Street Rear Cottage Lihue Hawaii 96766
Healthy Hut Kauai - 828-6626 - 4480 Ho'okui
Hoku Whole Foods
- 821-1500 - 4585 Lehua St., Kapaa (behind the Dragon Building
in Old Town Kapaa) - http://www.hokufoods.com/
& Pau Hana Pizza - 828-2020 - Kong Lung Center, Kilauea Rd.
(off Hwy. 56 on the way to the Kilauea Lighthouse
Kilauea Fish Market
Cafe - 821-2026 - 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
- 822-4300 - 4-356 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa (Wailua). www.monicostaqueria.com/
Papalani Gelato has
Sorbetto made only with real fruit and wholesome natural ingredients—and never with sugary flavored syrups—Papalani™ sorbetto is a dairy-, gluten-, and fat-free frozen treat.
Papaya's Natural Foods & Cafe - 808-823-0190 - 4-901 Kuhio Highway Kapa`a, HI 96746
Postcards Cafe - 826-1191 - 5-5075 Kuhio Highway,
Rainbow Living Foods - 635-2592 -
4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Shivalik Indian Restaurant - 821-2333 - 4771 Kuhio Highway
(Foodland Shopping Center), Kapaa.
The Spot - Organic Frozen Yogurt Bar
tel: 808-821-1400, Kapa’a Shopping Center 4-1105 Kuhio Hwy, A-3, Kapa’a, HI 96746
Vim 'n Vigor
- Most Thai and Vietnamese restaurants have vegetarian sections on their menus and may offer brown rice. Request no fish sauce. Most Vietnamese restaurants now offer vegan pho (made with vegetable broth) and vegan summer/spring rolls, even if these are not on their menus.
- Most Chinese restaurants will offer up whatever you request. Tell them what vegetables, noodle, or sauce, e.g., bitter melon with look fun noodles and black bean sauce. Request no chicken stock. You may also request reduced soy sauce and oil in the cooking and no MSG. (Your request can be honored because Chinese dishes are generally cooked to order, with the exception of soups, dumplings, egg rolls, and similar preparations.) Few Chinese restaurants offer brown rice.
- Most Italian and many continental restaurants have one or two pasta primavera-style dishes (or can readily prepare one on request). Vegans must be wary of eggs in the noodles and dairy products in the sauce. You may also request reduced oil.
- Many restaurants have good to excellent salad bars and plain baked potatoes.
- Most restaurants can accommodate vegetarians although the selection may be minimal. Call ahead to ask.
- At build-your-own sandwich shops (Subway, Blimpie, Quiznos), you may choose whole-grain bread and vegetarian/vegan/low-fat contents. Suggestion: you may build an over-spiced sandwich and eat it at home with steamed vegetables.
- Hawaii is rapidly becoming increasingly friendly to vegetarians and vegans. This Guide has trouble keeping up!
Hosting donated by