following restaurants and natural food stores are
sorted alphabetically. To be listed, a restaurant must offer 3
or 4 vegetarian dishes or be exceptional at fewer. It is best to call ahead to
check the restaurant's hours and to make reservations. Members must
show their current VSH membership card to receive special offers and
discounts. We are not able to check all listed items personally, and
changes may take place without notice. We encourage your comments
regarding additions to or deletions from this guide, including
changes in discount policies; please send them to
Restaurants & Natural Foods Stores
Banana Joe's - 828-1092 - 5-2719 Kuhio Highway, Kilauea
Fruitstand and smoothies
Caffe Coco - 822-7990 - 4-369 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Many vegan items.
Chutney - 821-2040 - 4-1387 Kuhio
Highway, Kapaa (Mauka across from Java Kai & North of the ABC
store. Mostly vegan, vegetarian, and some non-vegetarian Indian and
Nepalese food. Open for lunch Mon.-Sat. and Sunday Brunch 11:30 -
2:30 pm. Open for dinner Mon.-Sun. 5-9 pm (10 pm Fri. &
Rainbow Living Foods - 635-2592
- 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Thai 2 Go - 652-3699 - 4460
Hookui St., Kilauea
Toi's Thai Kitchen- 335-3111 - Eleele
Shopping Center, Eleele
- Most Thai and Vietnamese restaurants have vegetarian sections on their menus and may offer brown rice. Request no fish sauce. Most Vietnamese restaurants now offer vegan pho (made with vegetable broth) and vegan summer/spring rolls, even if these are not on their menus.
- Most Chinese restaurants will offer up whatever you request. Tell them what vegetables, noodle, or sauce, e.g., bitter melon with look fun noodles and black bean sauce. Request no chicken stock. You may also request reduced soy sauce and oil in the cooking and no MSG. (Your request can be honored because Chinese dishes are generally cooked to order, with the exception of soups, dumplings, egg rolls, and similar preparations.) Few Chinese restaurants offer brown rice.
- Most Italian and many continental restaurants have one or two pasta primavera-style dishes (or can readily prepare one on request). Vegans must be wary of eggs in the noodles and dairy products in the sauce. You may also request reduced oil.
- All Korean take-out places offer vegan vegetable choices. The ?vegetable plate? consists of four vegetable selections and white rice. The ?vegetable plate without rice? allows five choices. Inexpensive.
- Many restaurants have good to excellent salad bars and plain baked potatoes.
- Most restaurants can accommodate vegetarians although the selection may be minimal. Call ahead to ask.
- At build-your-own sandwich shops (Subway, Blimpie, Quiznos), you may choose whole-grain bread and vegetarian/vegan/low-fat contents. Suggestion: you may build an over-spiced sandwich and eat it at home with steamed vegetables.
- Hawaii is rapidly becoming increasingly friendly to vegetarians and vegans. This Guide has trouble keeping up!
Hosting donated by
VSH News Group