following restaurants and natural food stores are
sorted alphabetically. To be listed, a restaurant must offer 3 or 4
vegetarian dishes or be exceptional at fewer. It is best to call ahead to check
the restaurant's hours and to make reservations. Members must show their
current VSH membership card to receive special offers and discounts. We
are not able to check all listed items personally, and changes may take
place without notice. We encourage your comments regarding additions to or
deletions from this guide, including changes in discount policies; please
send them to DiningGuide@VSH.org.
Restaurants & Natural Foods Stores
Banana Joe's - 828-1092 - 5-2719 Kuhio Highway, Kilauea
Fruitstand and smoothies
Bangkok Happy Bowl Thai Bistro & Bar - 742-9888, 2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr., Koloa
Open daily at 11 a.m. until 9:30 p.m., Su-Th and 10 p.m. F-Sa.
Veg-friendly and vegan items.
Caffe Coco - 822-7990 - 4-369 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa (Wailua)
Specializing in vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free.
Open 5 p.m-9 p.m. daily.
Hippie Cafe (Bakery located in Caffe Coco). Vegan and mostly gluten-free baked goods.
Open 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Garden Island Barbecue & Chinese Restaurant - 245-8868 - 4252 Rice St., Lihue
Menu includes "Vegetarian" section of 13 items. Ask for no oyster sauce.
Open 10 a.m-9 p.m. M-Sat. (may be open Sunday) http://www.gardenislandbbq.com/
Harvest Market - 826-0089 - 5-5161 Kuhio Hwy, Hanalei
Healthy Hut Kauai - 828-6626 - 4480 Ho'okui Road, Kilauea
We offer fresh local produce, fresh locally-made baked goods (many of which are vegan and/or gluten-free). We carry a variety of gluten-free vegan chips, crackers and cookies. We even have a locally made vegan coconut milk ice cream! We have a large raw foods section with a tasty assortment of vegan treats and snacks. We also carry a variety of eco-friendly vegan soaps, lotions and sunscreens. We have a small bulk foods section and supplement section, as well. 5% discount for VSH members.
Hoku Whole Foods - 821-1500 - 4585 Lehua St., Kapaa (behind the Dragon Building in Old Town Kapaa) - http://www.hokufoods.com/
Open 7 days, 10 am - 6 pm.
Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza - 828-2020 - Kong Lung Center, Kilauea Rd. (off Hwy. 56 on the way to the Kilauea Lighthouse
Living Foods Market - 742-8910 - 5356 Koloa Rd. Building #9, Koloa
Mermaids Cafe - 821-2026 - 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Vegan friendly. Lunch & Dinner. http://www.mermaidskauai.com/
Monico's Taqueria - 822-4300 - 4-356 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa (Wailua). www.monicostaqueria.com/
Mexian. Vegan burrios & enchiladas. Open 11 a.m-3 p.m. &
5-9 p.m. Tue-Sun. Closed Mondays.
Papaya's Natural Foods & Cafe - 823-0191 - 4-831 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Located in the Kauai Village Shopping Center (Safeway), This casual market/deli offers shaded tables outside.
Postcards Cafe - 826-1191 - 5-5075 Kuhio Highway, Hanalei
Rainbow Living Foods - 635-2592 - 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa
Located right behind Java Kai in Downtown Kapaa. Vegan, organic, dairy and gluten free. http://rainbowlivingfoods.com/
Shivalik Indian Restaurant - 821-2333 - 4771 Kuhio Highway (Foodland Shopping Center), Kapaa.
Vim & Vigor - 245-9053 - 3-3122 Kuhio Highway #A9, Lihue
- Most Thai and Vietnamese restaurants have vegetarian sections on their menus and may offer brown rice. Request no fish sauce. Most Vietnamese restaurants now offer vegan pho (made with vegetable broth) and vegan summer/spring rolls, even if these are not on their menus.
- Most Chinese restaurants will offer up whatever you request. Tell them what vegetables, noodle, or sauce, e.g., bitter melon with look fun noodles and black bean sauce. Request no chicken stock. You may also request reduced soy sauce and oil in the cooking and no MSG. (Your request can be honored because Chinese dishes are generally cooked to order, with the exception of soups, dumplings, egg rolls, and similar preparations.) Few Chinese restaurants offer brown rice.
- Most Italian and many continental restaurants have one or two pasta primavera-style dishes (or can readily prepare one on request). Vegans must be wary of eggs in the noodles and dairy products in the sauce. You may also request reduced oil.
- Many restaurants have good to excellent salad bars and plain baked potatoes.
- Most restaurants can accommodate vegetarians although the selection may be minimal. Call ahead to ask.
- At build-your-own sandwich shops (Subway, Blimpie, Quiznos), you may choose whole-grain bread and vegetarian/vegan/low-fat contents. Suggestion: you may build an over-spiced sandwich and eat it at home with steamed vegetables.
- Hawaii is rapidly becoming increasingly friendly to vegetarians and vegans. This Guide has trouble keeping up!
Hosting donated by